World Wide Ocean Sailing . com

NEXT: ' To The Open Sea '

PORT & Help Forums

Forum Home > Port & Country Info > Alicante, Spain

Roy At Sea
Site Owner

Please add and share info for this Port

Alicante is a province of eastern Spain, in the southern part of the Valencian Community. It is bordered by the provinces of Murcia on the southwest, Albacete on the west, Valencia on the north, and the Mediterranean Sea on the east.

The province is named its capital, the city of Alicante. Alicante ranks as the 5th most populous province in Spain, with 1,825,264 inhabitants, from which at least 350,000 are foreign.

The province is mountainous, specially to the north and west, whereas it is mostly flat to the south.

The coast extends from Cabo de la Nao (Nao Cape) in the north to almost reaching the Mar Menor (Minor Sea) in the south.

Per Jet2 : "Alicante offers a wonderful mixture of Spanish city life, first class shopping, sumptuous cuisine and fantastic golf courses – not to mention stunning sandy beaches coupled with beautiful Spanish scenery! Besides its golden beaches, Alicante’s mountain-top castle is well worth a visit whilst you are in Spain so make sure you take your camera. Alicante is well known for its wine, as are the surrounding towns, the dry Spanish wines of Alicante come with a kick and are a great aperitif.

To get fantastic views of Alicante city and its beautiful coastline take the lift from El Postiguet Beach to Santa Barbara Castle.

Art lovers should not miss a visit to the Museo de la Asegurada modern art museum, with works by some of the great Spanish artists Salvador Dali and Picasso.

The Spanish city of Calpe, north of Alicante airport, lies around its focal point of "the rock", a huge boulder which can be viewed right along the bay. Calpe’s mountainous surroundings ensure protection from the elements and therefore offer the guaranteed Spanish sunshine.

If you fancy exploring the famous rock you can either reach the summit via the tunnel, or take the more relaxed approach and catch a boat from the marina. This up-market Spanish resort is a great place to explore on foot or relax by the marina."

July 18, 2010 at 8:29 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Cory Lynn

This is a lovely port.  I was here in May,  2010 on the Crown Princess.  I took the ship's excursion to Guadalest.  This is a hilltop village approximately 1.5 hours drive from Alicante.  The drive was also very interesting with several villages along the way.  It was a great excursion.  I usually do not do ship excursions, however, their is very sparce public transportation to this village.  I highly recommend this trip.  If you have enough people in your group one could rent a car and do this excursion on their own.

July 25, 2010 at 9:48 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.